When you’re out driving your car driving safely should always be your top priority. In the modern day of varied technology we can become more distracted than ever, so it’s extremely important to know the basics of safe driving and practice them every single time you hop in the car. Here are some safe driving tips:
Some Top Tips for Driving Safely
Focus on driving – Nothing else!
- Focus 100% of your attention on driving at all times, have your passengers deal with anything that may need doing within the car.
- Don’t use your phone or any other electronic device while driving.
- Keep to the speed limit. Speeding gives you less time to react, decreases braking time, and increases the severity of an accident.
- Try to be aware of what other drivers around you are doing, and what they may do next – expect the unexpected.
- Assume that other motorists could do something out of the ordinary, and always be prepared to avoid it if it happens.
- Always keep a 2-second gap between you and the car in front of you.
- If the weather is wet or foggy, increase that gap to 4 seconds.
Always Plan Ahead when Travelling Long Distances so Nothing is done on the Move!
- When planning your trip, schedule time to stop for food, phone calls, rest breaks, or other business.
- Ensure your seat is adjusted to your liking, as well as your mirrors and climate controls before setting off on your journey.
- Stop to eat or drink. It takes only a few minutes, and will keep you more alert.
Practice and Think Safety
- Secure any goods and luggage that may move around while the vehicle is in motion.
- Never attempt to retrieve items that fall on the floor.
- Always keep handy items needed within simple reach
- Never drive without your seat belt safely secured and NEVER drink then drive!
We hope you continue to practice driving safely at all times. If you ever need a refresher lesson or feel you would like to have some defensive driving lessons, we would love to hear from you.